First, let me tell you, I was blessed with genetically good skin. I have my mother and grandmother to thank for that. However, I don’t take it for granted.
The following has held tried and true for me, so hopefully some of the tips will work for you. P.S. I have combination skin.
1. Before washing my face I wash my hands, sounds anal-I know, but why would you want to wash your face with dirty hands?
2. I change my pillow case every other day-yes, I really do this and now I do the same for Little Pumpkin Doodle.
3. I never sleep with my makeup on. I mean NEVER!
4. I drink water, approx. 4-6 8 ounce glasses a day. I don’t drink soda.
5. I have been wearing moisturizer with sun screen for as long as I can remember, and about 5 years ago I started purchasing under eye cream for daytime with SPF 32. I use Shiseido, it’s not organic, but it’s what I use for now.
6. I’m not afraid to be seen without makeup. In fact, I make it a point to leave my face makeup free during the weekends unless we’re going somewhere special .
7. I get a facial from a licensed esthetician every 3 -6 months. In between visits to the esthetician, I give myself facials. For more great facial recipes visit www.makeyourcosmetics.com. (this site is awesome!)
8. I don’t remember where I learned this from, but before applying make up for a big event, I put a plain yogurt mask on my face. Let it dry, then rinse. My skin feels soft and ready for moisturizer and makeup.
9. I steam my face about once every 4-6 months. I boil some water, drop a chamomile tea bag or steep some tea from Royalmajestea. BE CAREFUL with the boiling water. Do not put your face to close to the water. For proper instruction see you tube video here. Once you’re finished, rinse with cool water.
10. I use plain old Witch Hazel (it’s the main ingredient in most toners) instead of buying expensive toner, and it’s cheaper too.
11. For cleanliness, I have wash cloths that are only used to pat my face dry. I use a new one every other day; that way I’m not drying my face with makeup residue from the day prior.
12. I use baby wash cloths with my cleanser – they’re inexpensive and one side is similar to a gentle loofah. I wet the wash cloth, add my cleanser and wash my face in a circular motion, then rinse. Update 2015- I alternate between baby wash cloths and my Clarisonic brush.
13. After thoroughly cleaning my face with cleanser, I rinse my face thoroughly 6-10 times before patting my face dry.
14. Gentle exfoliation-I use 2 tablespoons baking soda, 2 tablespoons honey and a squeeze of lemon. mix well, then gently rub in circular motion. leave on face for 10 minutes, then rinse. It’s a mini facial and cleanser in one. If there’s any left over, I use it on my hands; when I rinse my face and hands are soft. For you coffee lovers, here’s a scrub from PETA, the Cup of Joe facial scrub .
15. If I do get a blemish, I do not wear makeup over it, I let it breathe put a dab of zit cream and a dab of cortisone to take down the swelling.
As Little Pumpkin Doodle gets older, I’m hoping to teach her to take care of her skin, just like how my mom taught me.
Do have a beauty regime that works for you? Do you have any at home skin care recipes you’d like to share? Don’t be shy, I’d like to hear from you:)
If this is your first time visiting Mommy’s Organics catch up here, subscribe, like on Facebook and follow us on Pinterest.
Thank you for stopping by:)